Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit and leave with a smile! Love Thea x

Saturday, 23 June 2012

My Old Dolls House*~*

I still have my childhood dolls house, it has moved with me several times wrapped and stored in the loft where ever I have lived. So I thought it was time I tidied it up. originally it was in the style of a 1960s suburban 'red brick' house by (Triang toys) like this one... but over the years it has lost its windows and doors and become very tatty (my three children have all played with it) Star wars figures, plastic soldiers, knights in armor, Lady lovely locks, Trolls, Sylvanian families (although R2 D2 only rented the lower floor, due to the stairs) as well as my 1960s plastic family have all lived in it. .......................I am not sure where the large doll fits in but she has always lived in the dolls house with the others (what is she wearing) I still have the 1960s TV and the metal sink unit... The little house has always been very dear to me, I can remember the Christmas morning so clearly, there it stood under the tree all wrapped up in snowman paper ................ waiting for me to discover it, my Daddy on hand to help me unwrap it, very special and poignant memories as sadly he died when I was 7 years old. So now I have started restoring it, Fin has mended the roof, and a new front has been added, I then took the rest apart and painted each piece, there is still much to do but I have made a start, my little granddaughter will probably enjoy it when she is older, I wonder who will live in it then !!...................... 1st and 4th pictures sourced from Google Images.

15 comments:

  1. Dear Thea,

    What a beautiful project! I enjoyed reading your memories about the doll house. How did you manage to keep it all those years? I wish I still had mine. I hope you will show us when it's finished?!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Очень Трогательно вы написали. Теа,это очень хорошо,что вы решили восстановить домик и мебель. Внучка будет вам благодарна:) Удачи вам!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting, I wish I had mine too. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Thea
    Can't wait to see your doll's house when you've finished restoring it.

    I still have mine too, bought for me around 1970. My mum & dad paid 50p for it and my dad decorated it all out before it was given to me for Christmas. It had different wallpaper in each room and carpets through out, done with carpet samples. It had little light bulbs in each room which run on a large battery fitted into the roof space. I loved it.

    Mine is slightly damaged too.. but if we're ever lucky enough to have a granddaughter, we'll have to restore it for her.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to updates on this project. You have some lovely items from the past. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mum was the kind of person who threw toys away as soon as we outgrew them. I don't think that it ever occurred to her that we might like them for our own children or for ourselves in adulthood. You are blessed to have this wonderful thing and I'm sure it will look just wonderful all spruced up :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Thea: I love the doll house. You are so lucky to have kept it for your children to play with. And now it's practically brand new and ready for the grandchildren, but with so many 'old' good memories. Thanks for your sweet comment to me. I always appreciate them and hope you are having a good weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really brought back memories to me from the 1950's when my Dad made a doll's house for me. A bungalow, and it only had a living room and a bedroom, but hey, I didn't mind - he had made it in the evenings after 12 hour work shifts and he wasn't really into carpentry - that is love!! Mine too had the battery in the roof for the lights and on Christmas morning, we had to put off all lights except those in the dolls' house - magical.

    Later I got Dad to extend the house into the roof - impressive eh - and then I gained a kitchen and a bathroom. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, as a lover of dolls houses and Paddingtons I am over the moon to find your blog.
    I will bob by regularly now as I cannot wait to see the house refurb. Very exciting.
    I shall continue reading now to discover all the other things we may have in common.
    Emma (Oooh Betty) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Emma
      You are very welcome, I hope you enjoy it
      Thea x

      Delete
  10. Love your dollhouse! And such sweet memories of it!
    Mine will be comming in september! I am looking forward to it!


    Juliëtte xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. How Nostalgic this post is....
    I think it's wonderful, that you are 'refurbishing',Thea.
    I can remember my dolls house quite clearly, my bigger sister had flats, but always took over playing with mine( as big sisters can some times do)haha...
    I wish i still had mine, but alas,mum give away to the lass up the street....
    Will keep an eye on the revamp!!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's lovely Thea - what a great idea. I'm sure you'll make it look beautiful and I look forward to seeing more!
    Many thanks for your get well wishes, it's lovely to hear from you.
    Essie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love dolls' houses. I also still have mine which my Dad made and gave for my third Christmas. I still remember the excitement of finding it downstairs by the fire on Christmas morning. Mine had a large garden which my Mam painstaking made little flowers for and which I picked (that must have been upsetting for her!). I have intended doing mine up too but everytime I think about starting I can't bring myself to cover up or remove the wallpaper and carpets so lovingly chosen and put there by my parents. Its got really tatty but its not yet the right time for me. Good luck with yours - can't wait to see it finished. Are you going to wire it and put little lights in? Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lily
      Your little house sounds charming very special. I am not sure about the lights, I shall keep it quite simple to start with
      Thea x

      Delete

Thank for your lovely messages they make my day,Thea x