Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit and leave with a smile! Love Thea x

Thursday, 26 September 2013

A Little Bit of Special Baking...

Last weekend we had a family get together...so I baked a cake..or two


A Raspberry and Chocolate chip cake..

and a batch of Banoffee cup cakes..





I do enjoy baking..much more than cooking, but the trouble is when there is only Fin and I around the prospect of eating cake every day ( now there's an idea ) is not really a good one, so I usually wait until we have company or we are going to see someone....

So last weekend was special in so many ways I saw my sons, daughters and newest gran baby... and I got to do a bit of baking xx

Recipes below.....

Ingredients

For the cupcakes
  • 250 g unsalted butter, soft
  • 250 g caster sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 ripe banana, mashed to pulp
  • 250 g self-raising flour
For the frosting
  • 250 g unsalted butter, soft
  • 550 g icing sugar
  • 9 tsp caramel, plus extra to decorate
For the caramel
  • 300 g caster sugar
  • 80 ml water
  • 350 ml double cream
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract




Method

1. For the cupcakes: heat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3. In a mixer, combine the butter and sugar. Once this is fluffy, add 4 eggs one by one.

2. Add the mashed banana and blend well. Add the flour and mix to combine. Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 17 minutes. Once they are firm but springy to the touch, remove from the oven and allow to cool.

3. For the caramel: combine all the ingredients in a pan over a medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Be careful not to let the syrup burn. Cool thoroughly.

4. For the frosting: in a bowl, combine the butter with 500g of the icing sugar and once this has mixed well and become fluffy, then add the caramel sauce.

5. Blend for 3 minutes, then either spoon on to the cooled sponges or pipe with a nozzle and piping bag. Finish off with some banana pulp, a dried banana chip or a swirl of caramel sauce. 





Chocolate and Raspberry Cake



Chocolate raspberry cake
Serves: 8
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes


You will need
200g dark chocolate    I used chocolate chips
4 egg yolks
175g caster sugar
4 egg whites
200g butter, melted
250g ground almonds
200g raspberries, plus extra for decorating the cake
Icing sugar, for dusting
Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease a 24 centimetr cake tin that has a removable base and line it with baking parchment.
2. Whizz the chocolate in a food processor until it's chopped into pieces - but don't chop it too finely.
3. Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl with the sugar until you have a pale yellow mixture with a mousse-like consistency. Whisk the egg whites in another bowl until they form stiff peaks.
4. Add the chopped chocolate to the egg yolks and pour in the melted butter. Fold in the egg whites, ground almonds and raspberries and then spoon the mixture into the cake tin. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes until firm to the touch of your fingertips.
5. Leave the cake to cool for 20 minutes in the tin, then turn it out on to a serving plate. Dust with icing sugar and decorate with raspberries if you like. Delicious served warm or cold with cream.

17 comments:

  1. Oh my those cakes look scrummy! Chocolate raspberry is my favourite flavour combo, I wish I could tuck into that gorgeous cake! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Thea - both of those cakes look divine. Recipes please?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, I must say they did not last long !
      I have just added recipes to post
      Thea x

      Delete
  3. Oh, cute little hand <3, hope you had a lovely weekend.
    Your bakes are looking delicious, I would love to get the recipe of the Banoffee Cupcakes! Have a nice weekend,

    xx Margriet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margriet
      Thank you for your words I have just added the recipes to post
      Thea x

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! I'll try them as soon as possible!

      x Margriet

      Delete
  4. Hello Thea
    The cakes look absolutely delicious. A very good reason for baking cakes and for celebrating if its to see your newest grand-child :-)

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you have given us the recipes as they both look so delicious! I always baked a cake every Friday when the children were at home. I still carry on the tradition but only make small cakes - using 2 eggs and we will have it for tea and pudding over the weekend. I will have to try one of your recipes next time everyone is home for the weekend. It must have been wonderful seeing all the family including your grand Baby.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words Sarah, what a good idea I shall take your tip and make some small cakes or a small sponge ...because I do like a baking day!
      Thea x

      Delete
  6. Yummy and that applies to the cakes & that dear little hand!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cute little baby photo and as for those cakes....yum yum! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chocolate and raspberry cakes looks delicious. Our children and grandchildren come tomorrow, may be I'm going to bake this one. The little baby hand and knee are so cute. It is always nice when they all come home is not it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah delishousness does abound here !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look so delicious Thea. I know what you mean about baking though, I love to bake but dont much now because I dont want to put my weight back on again. Its nice to push the boat out a bit though when visitors come isnt it?
    P.S. the baby photo is so cute too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ~ A delish post in lots and lots of ways...WISH I could bake! not one of my talents and I know because I have tried.. and failed miserably! hehe...~ Ever so pleased you had all your most favourite people in the world all together to enjoy! A big Awwww to baby picture too...Hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds divine! I will certainly get some almonds and make this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank for your lovely messages they make my day,Thea x