Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit and leave with a smile! Love Thea x

Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Sewing in the Garage!


I have aways enjoyed sewing ...as many of you lovely ladies do too!
But this is my story so far..as a child  in the 70s my Mother took me to Bognor Regis one summer holiday to visit some of her old Aunties...It was ok but as you can imagine I was a little bored listening to "old " people talking over tea and biscuits...
then out of the blue my Mother's friend phoned to invite us to tea at her house at the other end of town...Now Isobel was a lovely lady she made us feel so welcome..she lived in a beautiful house, with a sewing room in the attic..I was blown away.. a whole room just for sewing!
Isobel had no children of her own but she had a very kind and caring way about her..she showed me around her room and then opened an old wooden trunk..it was full of pieces of material of all the colours you could dream of, they shone in the beams of sunlight like jewels..she said that I could choose a piece to take home...I sat in her sewing room for the rest of the afternoon in awe of the pretty fabrics, buttons and cottons..after my trip I knew I wanted to have a go at sewing for myself
I was a very lucky little girl as Father Christmas delivered one of these the following December ..it was a little temperamental but I still managed to create a dress for Sindy and a drawstring bag
As I grew up and became more confident I saved my pocket and birthday money and for my twelfth  birthday I bought this, a reconditioned Vickers sewing machine that I spotted in our local Singer shop ...no stopping me now!!
This was my first attempt at sewing clothes for myself a skirt and jerkin ...yes pre-decimal !
It took me a while to work it out but yes I did manage it..I thought I looked the bees knees!

Now I have mastered the electric machine ( even though quite a basic one) and I love to sew I can lose myself and be me..My sewing room has moved from room to room..It started off in our little front bedroom "above" then I moved it to the larger back bedroom..
But the problem is that when we had visitors to stay I would have to move everything and pack it all away..It just did not work.. so plan B, I tried just storing the fabric and cottons etc.. in cupboards and chests and sewing on the kitchen table..it worked for small projects but no good for long term ...then on watching the BBC Sewing Bee program I had a flash of inspiration..the inside of their warehouse looked like my garage!!
So I painted the walls and hung up my sewing bits and bobs...

moved our pine table and chairs (that we bought with us from Cornwall ) into the window..
and found room for all my sewing needs..
The flooring still needs to be fitted but I have started using my new sewing room already..
I love it ..I now have room for my fabric,wool, ironing board etc, books and mags
I was a lucky Mum too..  thank you for your kind words I love reading every single one Thea xx
The first 6 photos sourced from Google xx

30 comments:

  1. Great flash of inspiration, your garage now looks 'sew' amazing! I can't wait to see what fantastic creations come out of it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Josie..no pressure then..hehe xx

      Delete
  2. What a lovely story Thea! I think its a fab idea to relocate your sewing room to the garage (hoping Fin didnt mind of course, I always tend to think of our garage as Tony's domain somehow!). I really wish I were a better sewer. I know its all down to practising but I struggle to find time. I dont have much confidence in my sewing ability either but I did used to make skirts and tops for myself in the late 1970's. I loved the Sewing Bee and last nights was brilliant. How wonderful were they all? Hoping you are well and looking forward to seeing some more of your handmade creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne..I have left Fin a little space at the end for his tools! hehe!
      I think you are being a little hard on yourself Anne I love your sewing and knitting.. very clever (my knitting is a struggle as I do not hold my needles properly)
      Thea xx

      Delete
  3. Oh Wow, Thea ... What a wonderful story and amazing sewing room! I love it when space is utilised like that, and it was under your nose all the time ...

    I have started sewing quite late in life, but my Mam sewed every day, so it's in my genes, but go through phases were I want to practise all the time, then leave it for weeks on end. I'm looking forward to seeing the projects you make in your new sewing room. I loved The Sewing Bee too, and wondered what I'd do on a Tuesday now it's over, but there's a new programme starting about allotments, so that'll do!

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Claire..Ooooh yes The S B was fab so so clever...yes allotments sounds great..
      I do love sewing but if its warm outside I shall be gardening!!
      Thea xx

      Delete
  4. That looks a wonderful location for your sewing room.I can see you will be spending many happy hours there! I also enjoyed reading your wonderful memories. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah I don't know why it took so long to discover..It is a double garage so plenty of room for sewing
      Thea xx

      Delete
  5. Sewing room looks really spacious and a good place to be at work. I enjoyed hearing your 'sewing history' too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fiona..yes I am very pleased how it has evolved,it has good light too, just need to sort the floor out now
      Thea xx

      Delete
  6. I love your new 'sewing room' , all I can say is your garage is certainly not like ours which is a double one and full to the brim with I would call 'stuff' and my husband would call essentials. Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless him !! ..we did have to have a good clear out too
      T xx

      Delete
  7. What a lovely job you have done of your sewing room Thea.
    It looks a cosy place to work in. I love your yellow sofa.
    I used to sew when i was much younger. I enjoyed it very much.
    I wish you lots of joy there in that lovely room. I know you enjoy sewing.
    happy days Thea.. val xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Val...the sofa is quite old I have covered it with a spare cover I had and ( its a bit baggy)... the yellow goes quite well out there..not sure I would want it in my lounge..T xx

      Delete
  8. It looks brilliant, and as another girl with her own proper sewing room, I can understand your excitement. I love mine and spend most if my spare time in there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am sure I will spend hours of fun there...It is so nice just to walk away and leave everything out!
      T xx

      Delete
  9. Perfect, and a sofa for people to sit and chat to you whilst you sew away. I loved reading your sewing story. My Mother sewed all the time and probably still would but she has arthritis in her hands so I have her lovely old Bernina but I really enjoy hand sewing the best as machines and I do not get along. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen I am sorry to hear your Mum has arthritis it must be very painful as well as frustrating...her machine sounds wonderful I am sure you will cherish it ( even though you prefer a needle and thread)
      T xx

      Delete
  10. Dear Thea
    Your sewing room looks wonderful - serious envy here! I am sure that you'll love every minute you spend in there. I am taking the plunge and joining in with a skirt sew-along (my first proper clothes sewing - eek!) so am keeping my fingers crossed...Exciting, but I'm a little apprehensive too.
    Happy sewing!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting making a skirt ! I am sure you will enjoy it..My first skirt was a tube with elastic threaded around the waist..I thought it was marvellous !!
      Txx

      Delete
  11. ~ Ooh my, what a fabby place to sew and just be..
    Thea I wish you could see our garage, it's almost like 'step- toes yard', hehe!
    I need to show Mr Rosey tinted spec's this lovely postie and drop some rather large HINTS!!
    No wonder you create such lovely pieces...
    The biggest Thank you, for my beautiful gift...I really LOVE the materials, you have used, Thea..I used it every day, whilst away, (special enough, for a beautiful occasion) Thank you, thank you, thank you!! from the bottom of my heart..Hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Twink
      I did have a giggle at the thought of your hubby peeping into my sewing room for inspiration!!
      So glad you liked the bag Maria and that you enjoyed your special celebrations, I can't wait to hear all about it
      love T xx

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful sewing space! There is room for all you need there, and it all looks so light, airy and organised. Well done Thea!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gill I must admit that is the best bit the light, at last I can see what I am doing!
      T xx

      Delete
  13. Such a lovely post, full of heartfelt memories and creativity - and I envy your space! What a fabulous sewing area! I'd never leave...Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Chrissie I do have some chores to do but what the heck!!
      T xx

      Delete
  14. Looks fabulous! I moved into our garden shed last summer, and I love having my own little space to sew. Enjoy your new studio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful a sewing room shed , I bet it is really pretty as well
      T xx

      Delete
  15. What a fabulous space you have created for your self to work in - lovely colours, very calm and away from it all. Hope you have a good week.

    Jill, Christmas Pie Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so wonderful, a real luxury. Enjoy !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank for your lovely messages they make my day,Thea x